The Pasha de Cartier collection debuted in 1985, with a design by Gerald Genta encapsulating the hedonistic thrill of that decade. The collection’s exotic name was inspired by Marrakesh’s similarly lavish Pasha Thami El Glaoui, a loyal client and passionate watch collector between 1920 and 1950.
The Pasha collection prospered until around 2011 when it was discontinued. The Pasha de Cartier Grille reappears this year, inspired by their 1943 waterproof watch with a protective metallic grid across the dial. The gold grill that protects the dial may be removed, in addition to the interchangeable strap system.
The new 41mm Pasha de Cartier Grille is housed in a yellow gold case with a thickness of 9.5mm and a 100-meter water resistance. The grid complements the Pasha’s dramatic design, including a thick, mirror-polished bezel and a square railway track in the centre of the dial.
The detachable grid over the dial, crafted in hand-polished yellow gold, gives even more flair to a watch that is already flamboyant. The grid may be simply joined and disengaged thanks to four little clasps with a tiny spring.
The Pasha has a dynamic, energetic attitude, thanks to its projecting sapphire cabochon-tipped crown and chain and the famous Vendome-style bars with rounded Clous de Paris points developed and patented by Louis Cartier in 1934.
The four large numbers defy Cartier’s long-standing tradition of Roman numerals and are Arabic. The big black Arabic numbers at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o’clock are written in an Art Deco typeface on a silvered dial with a scallop-shaped design and a date window between 4 and 5 o’clock.
This watch features the QuickSwitch feature, which allows you to change the strap in a moment. The bracelet or strap is released and attached using the little button on the back side of the bar lugs. The style is available with blue or dark grey alligator leather straps in this example.
This watch is powered by calibre 1847 MC, an automatic movement produced by Richemont’s Valfleurier manufacture. The movement beats at 4Hz, offers 42 hours of power reserve, and is pleasantly decorated with Côtes de Genève on the rotor and bridges.